Before and after pics

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bariatric surgery for teens?





I found this very interesting article (linked below) from Children's Hospital in Boston, announcing that they will be starting bariatric surgeries for some teens. Having had bariatric surgery myself last year, I am certainly someone who can strongly advocate the life-saving benefits of this procedure. People WILL lose weight and get to a healthier place as a direct result of gastric bypass surgery. At a certain point post-surgery, however, the responsibility for maintaining the weight loss will be transferred from the procedure and onto the person who had the procedure.

Prior to my surgery, I studied this procedure for nearly a year, attending numerous classes on diet, exercise, and dealing with change. I committed myself to not only having this procedure, but also to changing my lifestyle to that of a much more active and healthier one for the rest of my life. Every day now when I wake up, I plan my healthy meals and whenever possible schedule in time to exercise. Knowing me as a person, I freely admit that now was the correct time in my life to have had this surgery. Granted, I could have had this 25 years ago, as my BMI was over 35, but I probably would have failed in the end, because I just wasn't emotionally ready to keep the weight off. I am certain that I will be successful now, because I have changed how I live each day.

But now, as this article states, bariatric surgery is becoming more common for teenagers. While I do understand the logic of some in the medical community who promote the increased frequency of this procedure, I also have many concerns for the long-term success of these patients. One of the factors that the doctors cite is the lack of access of many parents to inexpensive fruits and vegetables, as well as a lack of access to places like parks. Hmmm... news flash- if the kids didn't have this before, how will they have this after surgery? I agree that many teens who are morbidly obese are that way due to a direct result of a lack of knowledge by the parents. The problem now comes into play that post-surgery, the education process must be a family-wide one, or the young patient will never have a chance at success.


I also worry about the long-term impact of this surgery on the changing and growing bodies of teens. What other ways will this impact their lives 10 years from now? 20 years from now?

Conversely, I do understand the health benefits to having this surgery, most notably the reversal of type 2 diabetes. I can see some very extreme cases where I think that this surgery would be appropriate for kids. However, I think that in all cases, intensive efforts must be taken by the young patient and the family to lose weight without surgery. And having doctors tell kids, "Just exercise more and eat less" won't cut it either. Kids who are morbidly obese need intensive treatment and education in order to set them up for a lifetime of success. My feeling is that only in the most severe cases that surgery even be considered for teenagers. But what do you think?

A Young Candidate

Link to Children's Hospital article about bariatric surgery in children

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you,
    bariatric bypass surgery should only be considered if its a life and death situation. If not, then teens should consider proper diet and exercise for weight loss.

    ReplyDelete